Monday, October 25, 2010

A New York holiday



Hi All,

Firstly, I know I said I would blog about New York during the week, but frankly I was just having too much fun to go back to my room and sit at my computer screen. So I am sorry, however, I am sure my 7 viewers (moving on up) will all get over it.

I arrived home safely yesterday with the standard dark circles, oily hair and that distinct but ever so familiar smell that you get after a 24-hour flight.  From the airport I fell into a taxi, sprayed on a can of deodorant, baby wiped my face, attempted to apply makeup and went straight to the John Clements Pink Ribbon Breakfast fundraiser hosted by the amazing (and my favorite) Lauren Phillips. 

Although I arrived only to catch the end of the breakfast it was a beautiful and more importantly a very successful morning that raised much needed money and awareness to the foundation and to the disease. Congratulations to all who were involved.

But now to New York. Uh New York.

From its culture to its sidewalks, its amaaazing shops to it’s hot dog vendors, how can anyone not love New York?

Although there is ONE bad thing about NYC… it is so far away! Or maybe we can just blame that on Australia?  

Tom and I practically slept walked to the Melbourne airport at 4:30am to catch a flight to Auckland, which then took us to L.A and from L.A to NYC.
Admittedly, it was not the most desirable flight route, however, it was the only flight I could get on with my frequent flyer points. And I didn’t care; I was going to NEW YORK. Tom, standing at 198cm on the other hand… not so happy (he had the option of taking at 23 hour flight compared to this 33 hour flight).

However, I convincingly reassured him of how much fun we would have together as the longer flight meant more quality time. Because 33 hours on plane is so much fun right?

But I was wrong, so, so wrong. We did not have fun together (really, who would have fun on a 33 hour flight anyway), nor did we spend quality time together because he was UPGRADED.
I spent the whole trip on my lonesome down in the back of the plane.
Darn it I thought, I had been so excited to have Tom on the plane with me. And no, it was not for the ‘quality’ time we would have spent together, but for the lap rest I could have had, the opportunity to rest my head on his legs and then my legs over his chair when I wanted to change positions. You just don’t get those opportunities sitting next to strangers.

This slightly annoyed me, but I did not let it get to me as I was on my way to NEW YORK. What did get to me was when I was walking up to heaven to say hi to Tom and noticed the free seat next to him along with 50 others. I sat in this free seat that apparently are for the people who pay “thousands and thousands and thousands more dollars than you”, as told to me by the flight attendant in front of everyone before she told me to go back to the "end of the plane".
I guess it pays to be tall.
Next trip I am wearing stilts.


The flight was over, and none of that mattered, we were both so happy to have reached New York.

The crowds, the taxis and the continuous sounds of sirens overwhelmed me but I loved it, it was a constant reminder to me that I was in New York City.

The shopping blew my mind, the quality and the quantity with the help of our amazing dollar was wonderful. All of the new winter trends were in the shops, which consisted of anklet boots, fur vests, oversized ponchos, military fitted jackets and pastel coloured lace items.
I spent way too much money, but was very happy with my purchases, plus I will be set for next winter.

We stood in the glowing human whirlpool of Times Square, went horse riding through central Park, took a helicopter ride over the city, watched a basketball game, wined and dined with great friends, saw a Broadway show, strolled through The Metropolitan Museum of Art and shopped till we dropped (or until I was 10 kg over my luggage weight)

The city inspired me and as Thomas Wolfe once said “One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years”
And I couldn’t agree more.

New York I heart you


xoxo
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment