Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fair enough?

Before I went overseas I had to save a substantial amount of money. And for me Saving money= No shopping.
It is a simple concept, but a concept that is very hard for me to put into practice. However, with some wonderful support from my best friend Camille I managed to stay away from the shops for roughly 3 months before my trip.
The week before I went away everything was looking great, I was in control and I had money in the bank.
When I arrived at my first stop in London, all hell broke loose. I was a race horse jumping out of the gates and no one could stop me.
I had been patient, I had saved and now I was going to shop.
Unfortunately one month into my trip I realised I hadn’t really saved enough money in relation to all the shopping I was doing and all of the eating and drinking.
But I did not let a little thing like money deter me, after all I had a new shiny credit card!
 And swipe, swipe, swipe I went.
Nothing was a problem whilst I was travelling, not money and certainly not the idea of getting a real job when I arrived home. All was fine and dandy.
But then home time happened. Along with a crazy credit card debt and unemployment and then I learnt a little something called ‘interest rates’.
So, in all of my misery I quickly found some temp work to help me with the credit card debt and vowed to stay away from the shops yet again.
Simple enough I thought, I can easily restrain myself from shopping for a few months whilst I work and in no time my credit card debt will be history.
But you see it is not this simple. Not anymore. No, no, no because there is a little thing these days called online shopping.
From shopbop, Net-a-Porter, Asos and my new favourite Boutiques.com I can’t help myself!
Everything seems to be saying ‘Buy. Buy. Buy’ expecially with our dollar being so good. Every time there is a sale for anything (15%, free shipping etc) I crack. I feel compelled to take advantage of it and buy whatever I want.
I rationalise my behaviour by “saving money in the long run” and making up fake presents for people.
Yes, online shopping is very, very bad for me. But at the same very, very good for me. It gives me this satisfied feeling of buying something without the guilt, because no one can judge me when I bring another shopping bag home because it's all just a click away!
It is so simple, once you have already put your credit details in the system it automatically saves them for next time, so you don’t even feel the guilt of pulling your purse out.
 It’s 100 percent Perfect.
So I am sorry commonwealth. But until the internet closes down I will be shopping and as long as I am shopping you are just going to have to wait for your money.
Fair enough?


Emma
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. welcome to my life!!! i am in so much debt its disgusting!! so scary.. i dont know how i'll ever get out!! :()

    ReplyDelete
  2. well online shopping certainly does not help the situation! xo

    ReplyDelete